[Buildroot] Project layout : where to put the .config files

Jeremy Rosen jeremy.rosen at openwide.fr
Thu Jan 30 10:42:46 UTC 2014

Thomas, All

> I find it a strange strategy to put .config in git: this is why we
> have the configs/ directory, and a target 'make savedefconfig' to
> store the .config configuration in a defconfig file. If you don't
> like
> defconfigs, you can still copy .config directly in the configs/
> subdirectory.
>
> Best regards,
> Thomas

This is my own little project I am building here it is not a new
board I am trying to support. I have been bitten multiple times
by .config not being saved until I do a savedefconfig. savedefconfig
should not be a "my change are good let's validate" step. That's
what git commit is for.

Defconfigs are a great way to define templates for a board and
distribute them with buildroot, but when you are building a final
product they are not the right tool.

In particular the fact that you have to do a savedefconfig before
any git commit is very error prone. moreover savedefconfig won't
warn you if defconfig has been modified by a pull and will overwrite
it.

This is even worse for the kernel/busybox case where the config
files are hidden in output/build/xxx/.config