[Buildroot] Problems building SDL, SDL_image, SDL_ttf, SDL_gfx via buildroot-2013.11

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Jan 29 09:17:09 UTC 2014

Dear Peter Thompson,

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 02:08:41 -0700, Peter Thompson wrote:

> You have convinced me to give up on static compiles as well as "from
> scratch" builds.   We did directfb builds both "from scratch" and via
> buildroot in the Free Electrons course and I found it extremely informative
> and helpful.

The "from scratch" lab in the course is here to give participants a
feeling on the complexity of cross-compilation. But if a component is
already properly packaged in a build system, then there is really no
point to spend time solving once again the problems that were already
solved by the person who created the package: it's the whole point of
having a build system.

The "from scratch" lab gives some basic ideas, in case you need to
create your own package in such or such build system, in which case you
would probably face some cross-compilation issues.

> Other notes
> -- pmtroot is the root I create from buildroot (but outside of buildroot)
> via "sudo tar xvf rootfs.tar" command.
> -- My  path to arm-linux-gcc is for cross-compiles as in command
> "arm-linux-gcc myprogram.c".   I will  build buildroot in a different
> session to avoid the potential errors you mention.

Still. Even for building your own applications outside of Buildroot,
but against libraries built by Buildroot, you should *NOT* use the
cross-compiler of the external toolchain directly, but instead use the
one generated by Buildroot in outpust/host/usr/bin.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons