[Buildroot] i686-buildroot-linux-gnu-as does not work

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Jan 27 22:23:34 UTC 2014

On 27/01/14 13:48, Romain Naour wrote:
> I meant that usually in buildroot, Makefile's variables are overwritten in foo.mk
>
> I removed my patch and added AS="$(TARGET_CC) -c" in infozip.mk
>
> $(MAKE) $(TARGET_CONFIGURE_OPTS) -C $(@D) AS="$(TARGET_CC) -c" -f unix/Makefile generic
>
> infozip compiles fine by doing that.

  Actually there's a deeper cause I'm afraid...

  The make command calls unix/configure to find out some things about the
platform, but the configure script sets CPP to /usr/bin/cpp or /lib/cpp
if either of these exist. But those host tools obviously have the wrong
predefined symbols, so the configure script will test if it is possible
to use assembly for the host, not for the target...

  I think there are two possible "right" solutions:

1. fix unix/configure;
2. bypass unix/configure by using the generic_gcc target instead.

  Regards,
  Arnout