[Buildroot] python Gobject

Eric Le Bihan eric.le.bihan.dev at free.fr
Fri Jan 24 18:27:01 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 06:02:56PM +0100, Eric Le Bihan wrote:
> I dug into the mailing list and found this discussion, which seems to be
> related to this problem:
> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2011-August/045038.html.
I've also found this interesting presentation about Python and
cross-compilation: http://whatschrisdoing.com/blog/talks/PyConTalk2012.pdf.

The author points out that cross-compiling Python extensions like
python-gobject, that do not rely on distutils, is likely to fail, because they
rely on the _host_ python-config to get the path to Python headers. In our
case, we end up with headers for a 64-bit machine
(host/usr/bin/include/python2.7) instead of the ones for the 32-bit target
(target/usr/include/python2.7).

I'll patch the autotools files in the modules of the PyGtk stack to handle
this properly.

Best regards,
ELB