[Buildroot] Patchwork oldest patches cleanup #5 (deadline January 19)

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Mon Jan 20 21:20:33 UTC 2014

Thomas, All,

On 2014-01-20 21:37 +0100, Thomas De Schampheleire spake thusly:
> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998 at free.fr> wrote:
> > Thomas, Floris, All,
> >
> > On 2014-01-05 17:20 +0100, Yann E. MORIN spake thusly:
> >> On 2014-01-05 17:01 +0100, Thomas De Schampheleire spake thusly:
> > [--SNIP--]
> >>
> >> I'm not sure we need that one. We already have:
> >>   - host-dosfstools to generate (empty) fat filesystems in a image file;
> >>   - host-mtools to add files to a fat filesystem, and it works with
> >>     image files.
> >
> > It seems I've spoken a bit fast on that one. There's one thing this
> > package provides that is not provided by dosfstools or mtools: an MBR
> > bootcode.
> >
> > However, we already have syslinux, which does provide an MBR bootcode.
> > It's currently not installed; it's just a matter of adding one more
> > option to syslinux, to install its MBR bootcode.
> >
> > So, my previous position still stands: we already have the required
> > packages; no need to duplicate what we already have.
>
> For me this conclusion is fine.
> There is a second patch in that same series:
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/213113/
> [2/2] Basic filesystem image with partition table support
>
> which sounds a lot like your 'fs/custom' patch series. If you agree, I
> propose to also reject that second patch since fs/custom is a more
> generic solution to the same problem.

I've had only a quick look at that patch, and it is limited to building
MBR-based images, indeed.

Not because I'm the author (Ok, a bit becasue I'm the author), I'd
prefer we work to merge genimages, since it is more generic, already
supports MBR and GPT, and is more easily extendable to other formats.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.