[Buildroot] [RFC] python: select vs depends on

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Jan 10 07:42:18 UTC 2014

Dear Thomas De Schampheleire,

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 07:44:50 +0100, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:

> > For what it's worth, I added in menuconfig options to all of the SELinux
> > packages to specifically enable the Python bindings.  When that option is
> > enabled, Python is selected.  Doing it this was way chosen after several
> > conversations with Thomas P. about the issue.
>
> Ah, interesting!
> So Thomas, what do you have to say for yourself? ;-)

In the SELinux libraries, the Python stuff is only used when you want
to *debug* SELinux (i.e tune your SELinux policy). Therefore, it is
unlikely that you will need all these SELinux Python bindings on a
final production system. Therefore, it didn't seem appropriate to
enable them automatically when Python is enabled: you may well want to
have Python *and* SELinux on a system, but necessarily have all the
Python bindings of these SELinux libraries, since those are only needed
for debugging purposes.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons