[Buildroot] adding nodejs to buildroot

Jenkins, Lee (ISS Houston) Lee.Jenkins at hp.com
Wed Feb 19 00:38:16 UTC 2014

I tried to add package nodejs to an old BuildRoot : 2011.05

Here's how I added the package:
1. I downloaded the nodejs package (Config.in, nodejs.mk, and nodejs...patch) from the latest buildroot into the buildroot/package/nodejs directory.
2. I added an entry for nodejs in buildroot/packages/Config.in under "Interpreter languages and scripting"
3. I ran "make menuconfig", selected the nodejs package (yes, it appeared in the right spot) and saved the configuration

But something is out of place because the make fails:

buildroot$ make nodejs
make: *** No rule to make target `nodejs'. Stop.

Similarly, if I just run "make" the make succeeds but the nodejs package is not built.

The buildroot/.config file has an entry BR2_PACKAGE_NODEJS=y, but clearly there's something else missing.

It's been about a year since I added a package to buildroot, so I'm wondering if I missed a step? Or is there some incompatibility between this package and my old buildroot?

Lee Jenkins
HP Server Storage