[Buildroot] Advice on new board support

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Feb 4 10:24:22 UTC 2014

 Hi Angelo,

On 02/02/14 22:15, Angelo Compagnucci wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm preparing a patch for the Ariag25 SOM and its Terra carrier board
> from http://acmesystems.it.
> I made a working and minimal configuration for Ariag25 SOM in which I
> enabled nothing more than a basic booting system.

 We would really appreciate if you send this config!

> For Terra, on the contrary, I'm building a more complex configuration
> with dhcp, python and various other software, because Terra is a
> carried board for rapid prototyping and the fairly basic configuration
> of the plain simple Ariag25 is pretty useless on that.

 At last year's FOSDEM buildroot developer meeting, we decided to support
this type of scenario (see [1]). The config file should be named
something like ariag25_demo_terra_defconfig.

> I'm aiming for the inclusion of both configurations, but I think the
> Terra one is really too big to be in configs. Right now I created a
> board/acmesystems/ariag25 folder and placed the configuration there.

 Support files should go into that folder, but the defconfig itself
should be in configs/

 Make sure that you submit the ariag25_defconfig and the
ariag25_demo_terra_defconfig as separate patches, and that the first
patch doesn't contain anything that isn't needed by the basic defconfig.

 Thanks a lot!

 Regards,
 Arnout

[1] http://elinux.org/Buildroot:DeveloperDaysELCE2013#Buildroot.config