[Buildroot] Buildroot 2014.11 released

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Mon Dec 1 09:40:04 UTC 2014

Hi,

Buildroot 2014.11 is released - Go download it at:

http://buildroot.net/downloads/buildroot-2014.11.tar.gz

or

http://buildroot.net/downloads/buildroot-2014.11.tar.bz2

Or get it from Git:

git://git.buildroot.net/buildroot

Please give it a spin and report any problems to the mailing list or
bug tracker. Many thanks to the people contributing to this release:

git shortlog -s -n 2014.08..

   314	Gustavo Zacarias
   136	Thomas Petazzoni
   112	Bernd Kuhls
   106	Peter Korsgaard
    97	Yann E. MORIN
    57	Maxime Hadjinlian
    46	Vicente Olivert Riera
    45	Jörg Krause
    34	Samuel Martin
    32	Baruch Siach
    32	Jérôme Pouiller
    32	Thomas De Schampheleire
    31	Francois Perrad
    21	Karoly Kasza
    19	Waldemar Brodkorb
    16	Alexey Brodkin
    14	Peter Seiderer
    13	Jerzy Grzegorek
    12	Danomi Manchego
    12	Eric Le Bihan
    12	Maarten ter Huurne
    11	Yegor Yefremov
    10	Luca Ceresoli
     8	Fabio Porcedda
     8	Romain Naour
     7	André Erdmann
     7	Angelo Compagnucci
     7	Arnout Vandecappelle
     7	Christophe Vu-Brugier
     7	Floris Bos
     6	David du Colombier
     6	Frank Hunleth
     5	Max Filippov
     5	Yuvaraj Patil
     4	Gregory CLEMENT
     3	Eric Limpens
     3	Jeremy Rosen
     3	Paul Cercueil
     3	Sebastien Bourdelin
     2	Alexey Mednyy
     2	Andreas Larsson
     2	Bryan Brinsko
     2	Eric Benard
     2	Ezequiel García
     2	Fatih Aşıcı
     2	Jonathan Ben Avraham
     2	Nathaniel Roach
     2	Sagaert Johan
     2	Simon Dawson
     2	Spenser Gilliland
     2	Vincent Stehlé
     2	Vivien Didelot
     1	ANDY KENNEDY
     1	Alvaro G. M
     1	Andrew Ruder
     1	Axel Lin
     1	Benoît Thébaudeau
     1	Bjørn Forsman
     1	David Bachelart
     1	Davide Viti
     1	Gary Bisson
     1	Hadrien Boutteville
     1	Jean-Christophe DUBOIS
     1	Jeremy Kerr
     1	Joerg Krause
     1	Kelvin Cheung
     1	Marcin Jabrzyk
     1	Matt Weber
     1	Michal Sojka
     1	Mike Williams
     1	Pedro Aguilar
     1	Pieter De Gendt
     1	Risto Avila
     1	Ryan Wilkins
     1	Sascha Arthur
     1	Sergey Alyoshin
     1	Vineet Gupta
     1	Zoltan Gyarmati

And a special thanks to our patch reviewers:

git log 2014.08.. | grep -Ei '(reviewed|acked)-by:' | \
    sed 's/.*[bB]y: //' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n -r

    152 "Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998 at free.fr>
     28 Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com>
     27 Samuel Martin <s.martin49 at gmail.com>
     27 Thomas De Schampheleire <thomas.de.schampheleire at gmail.com>
     18 Arnout Vandecappelle (Essensium/Mind) <arnout at mind.be>
     10 Vicente Olivert Riera <Vincent.Riera at imgtec.com>
      8 Bernd Kuhls <bernd.kuhls at t-online.de>
      5 Markos Chandras <Markos.Chandras at imgtec.com>
      4 Luca Ceresoli <luca at lucaceresoli.net>
      4 Gustavo Zacarias <gustavo at zacarias.com.ar>
      2 Fatih Aşıcı <fatih.asici at gmail.com>
      1 Yegor Yefremov <yegorslists at googlemail.com>
      1 Romain Naour <romain.naour at openwide.fr>
      1 Nathaniel Roach <nroach44 at gmail.com>
      1 Maxime Hadjinlian <maxime.hadjinlian at gmail.com>
      1 Matt Weber <matthew.weber at rockwellcollins.com>
      1 Karoly Kasza <kaszak at gmail.com>
      1 Fabio Porcedda <fabio.porcedda at gmail.com>
      1 Christophe Vu-Brugier <cvubrugier at fastmail.fm>

Once again our autobuilders have helped us fix a huge amount of build
issues. Thanks to all the people reviewing failures and fixing issues:

for i in $(git log --format=%H 2014.08..); do \
    git show --quiet $i | grep -q http://autobuild && \
    git show --quiet --format="%an" $i ; done | sort | uniq -c | \
        sort -rn -k1

     40 Peter Korsgaard
     31 Thomas Petazzoni
     25 Gustavo Zacarias
     24 Vicente Olivert Riera
     23 Yann E. MORIN
     21 Baruch Siach
     18 Bernd Kuhls
      7 Francois Perrad
      5 Yuvaraj Patil
      5 Samuel Martin
      5 Peter Seiderer
      3 Jörg Krause
      2 Max Filippov
      2 Eric Le Bihan
      2 Arnout Vandecappelle
      2 Angelo Compagnucci
      1 Waldemar Brodkorb
      1 Simon Dawson
      1 Romain Naour
      1 Nathaniel Roach
      1 Karoly Kasza
      1 Fabio Porcedda
      1 Ezequiel García
      1 Danomi Manchego
      1 Alexey Brodkin

The autobuilder graph shows a very nice decrease in build issues during
the stabilization phase:

http://autobuild.buildroot.net/stats.php

This time again we had almost 80 unique contributors! I'm very happy
to see so many "new" people next to the "oldtimers". It was also a very
busy cycle with close to 1400 commits and changes all over the tree.

Of noteworthy new features we have:

 - Architecture:  Use -mcpu / -march instead of -mtune. Support
   additional ARC and sparc variants. Updated Code sourcery
   and Linaro external toolchains.

 - Defconfigs: Freescale iMX6DL SabreSD, Minnowboard MAX, QEMU powerpc64
   pseries added and a number of updates to the existing configurations.

 - Infrastructure: Buildroot is now less noisy when built with the
   silent option (make -s).
   A number of package infrastructure variables have been renamed from
   *_OPT to *_OPTS for constency. Buildroot will complain if the old
   names are used to assist in updating out of tree packages.
   Fixes for host systems where bash isn't located in /bin, and older
   systems not supporting mktemp --tmpdir.
   Various cleanups of users/groups in the default skeleton.
   There is now an option to choose what shell /bin/sh points to.

 - Documentation: Various updates to the user manual. The asciidoc
   documentation handling has now been extended so it can be used by
   (BR2_EXTERNAL) packages.

 - Large number of new packages (48):
   Multimedia/graphics: glm, gst1-validate, libgtk3, libshout,
   mesa3d-demos, modplugtools, mp4v2, shairport-sync, tinyalsa, x264,
   ympd
   Networking: canfestival, dovecot, dovecot-pigeonhole, leafnode2,
   libupnpp, netcat-openbsd, nginx, odhcploc, phidgetwebservice,
   pps-tools, pure-ftpd
   Languages: mono, monolite, python-configshell-fb, python-rtslib-fb,
   python-urwid, ..

And the usual package version updates and bug fixes. See the CHANGES
file for details:

http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/plain/CHANGES?id=2014.11

Next release will be 2015.02. Expect the first release candidate shortly
after the developers meeting, and the final release at the end of February.

The next developers meeting will take place just after FOSDEM in
Brussels, Belgium:

http://elinux.org/Buildroot:DeveloperDaysFOSDEM2015

Many thanks to Google for sponsoring the meeting location! We are still
looking for a sponsor for the dinner Monday evening. Contact us if you
are interested.

During the 2014.11 cycle we had a very nice developers meeting in
Düsseldorf, Germany. Many thanks to Mind for sponsoring the event and
for all the participants for joining!

http://elinux.org/Buildroot:DeveloperDaysELCE2014

And here for the meeting report:

http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-October/109966.html