[Buildroot] Custom kernal patch not being run

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 19:51:42 UTC 2014

Hi Charles,

(please don't top-post, and send mails in plaintext only)

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 8:44 PM, buildrootcharles
<charles.s at mercury-security.com> wrote:
> Thanks Thomas, I just tried that command and it still does not implement my
> patch. When I execute the command “make linux-dirclean linux” I see text
> that says “>>> linux custom Download additional patches” is this supposed to
> indicate it found my patch? I’m guessing that I have the patch file named
> wrong as I have read it needs to match exactly what is trying to be patched
> but I don’t know if it should be named linux-custom (that’s the folder name
> in output->build->) should it be named the same as the custom kernel tarball
> (linux-3.10.4-July302014)?

The option BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_PATCH can contain just the directory name,
and this directory does not have any naming requirement.

The patches themselves should be named linux-something.patch. In your
original mail you wrote Linux-something.patch, with a capital L which
is not correct.

What you're supposed to see is something like:
>>> linux 3.16.1 Patching
for p in /tmp/foo/ ; do if echo $p | grep -q -E "^ftp://|^http://" ;
then support/scripts/apply-patches.sh
/home/tdescham/repo/contrib/buildroot-review/output/build/linux-3.16.1
/home/tdescham/repo/contrib/dl `basename $p` ; elif test -d $p ; then
support/scripts/apply-patches.sh
/home/tdescham/repo/contrib/buildroot-review/output/build/linux-3.16.1
$p linux-\*.patch ; else support/scripts/apply-patches.sh
/home/tdescham/repo/contrib/buildroot-review/output/build/linux-3.16.1
`dirname $p` `basename $p` ; fi done

Applying linux-bar.patch using patch:

In this example, I had:
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_PATCH="/tmp/foo/"