[Buildroot] Sparc Leon support in Buildroot

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Aug 20 12:05:14 UTC 2014

Dear Andreas Larsson,

On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 13:01:33 +0200, Andreas Larsson wrote:

> > Do you know if there's any reason to still keep gcc 4.4 for those
> > processors? Wasn't the support for Sparc Leon merged in upstream gcc?
> >  From https://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2011-12/msg00004.html, I see
> > that some patches were still needed for gcc 4.6, but according to
> > https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/SPARC-Options.html, Sparc Leon
> > processors seem to be supported.
> >
> > According to https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.6/changes.html, the Sparc Leon
> > supported was merged in gcc 4.6: "GCC now supports the LEON series of
> > SPARC V8 processors. The code generated by the compiler can either be
> > tuned to it by means of the --with-tune=leon configure option and
> > -mtune=leon compilation option, or the compiler can be built for the
> > sparc-leon-{elf,linux} and sparc-leon3-{elf,linux} targets directly.".
> >
> > Could you update us on the Sparc Leon support, and maybe submit some
> > patches to Buildroot to make the relevant changes?
>

> Hi!
>
> I am looking into this and will submit some patches.

Great, thanks! Also, currently, we don't have any Sparc toolchain in
our autobuilder testing. Normally, we try to have all architectures we
support tested in our autobuilders. If we were to add the Sparc
architecture to our testing infrastructure, would you be willing to
look at the potential build failures that may result from this testing?
(Look at http://autobuild.buildroot.org to see what the results look
like for other architectures).

Thanks!

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons