[Buildroot] How transfer what image(s) to target-CF?

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Thu Apr 24 21:44:26 UTC 2014

 Hi Lennart,

 [Please don't top-post, instead reply below the relevant quoted paragraph.]

On 24/04/14 12:07, Lennart Ramberg wrote:
> Thanks Arnout,
>
> Now, please, for the 'how'-part, that 'put':
>
> How exactly would I here use commands like dd and/or cpio, and in what order?

 With "put", I just meant copying onto the existing FAT filesystem. But
it seems that is not what you want.

> Assume the target CF is mounted as /dev/sdX on the host.
>
> To complicate matters :-) I aim at ext3.

 Then you have two options: either create an ext3 image, or create a
tarball and format the CF card from a separate script.

1. Set the following options:

BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_EXT2=y
BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_EXT2_3=y
BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_EXT2_BLOCKS=1000000
(the latter is assuming you have a 1GB CF card).

This will create a rootfs.ext3 image.
You can write this to your CF card with
cat output/images/rootfs.ext3 > /dev/sdX1
(assuming you've partitioned it already, and your rootfs is partition 1).

2. Select the tarball as the target rootfs.

Now in a separate script, use mkfs.ext3 to create the rootfs directly on
the CF card. Then mount it and untar output/images/rootfs.tar to the rootfs.

 In both cases, you'll probably want to use grub2 as the bootloader and
select the BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_INSTALL_TARGET option.

 Regards,
 Arnout