[Buildroot] Two or three stages gcc build?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Sep 19 19:27:20 UTC 2013

Dear soochon radee,

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 13:02:33 -0400, soochon radee wrote:

> I am also seeing the two-phase build break eglibc trying to link
> SSP-related symbols on 64-bit targets (powerpc/970, x86_64/core2) in
> libc/resolv. This happens even if SSP is enabled in .config
>
> I've been digging around gcc-initial's configure arguments and directories
> passed around to eglibc's configure script to no avail. But, I've been able
> to make it work by forcing eglibc to assume no SSP support with the
> following patch. Hopefully this will point a way to a better solution.

Well, I've been able to fix the problem on ARM by explicitly telling
gcc-initial that the libc *will* have SSP support. However, it doesn't
work on x86 because SSP requires TLS support, which isn't provided by
gcc-initial. I am not yet sure how to fix this (enable threads in
gcc-initial, if it is even possible? switch to a three stages build
when SSP is enabled?).

I'll continue experimenting around with this.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons