[Buildroot] Is GPLv2 the right license for Buildroot?

Jeremy Rosen jeremy.rosen at openwide.fr
Tue Sep 17 15:17:44 UTC 2013

I'll second that,

when we develop software for a customer building a product we educate them
on their duties WRT open-source software and what they should do to comply.
We also provide them with all the source code they need to comply.

(on a side note, some customers don't want to deal with that and just let
us push upstream all the changes to FOSS so all changes are upstream and
they don't need to provide their changes :P )

But don't overestimate that whole "provide the code" thing. There is
very little code to provide, 99% of the code our customers use is unmodified
and their only duty is to point you to the original project's URL (that
usually includes buildroot). The only real modification would be  if the
.config is considered derived work. But for a lot of our customers that would
be the only thing they would need to provide...

    Cordialement

    Jérémy Rosen

fight key loggers : write some perl using vim

----- Mail original -----