[Buildroot] [RFCv1 09/11] package: add a <pkg>_SOURCE_ADDONS variable

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Mon Sep 16 18:31:30 UTC 2013

Dear Thomas De Schampheleire,

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 15:39:22 +0200, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:

> What about allowing FOO_SOURCE to contain multiple words directly, and
> thus not introducing a new variable? The package infrastructure can
> download each word of FOO_SOURCE, but only extract (and otherwise use)
> the first one. Any subsequent word has to be handled by the package
> itself.

The problem is that the default extract step needs to know what to do.
And what it does today is that it extracts the tarball whose name is
given in FOO_SOURCE. If we put several words in FOO_SOURCE, then what
should be the semantic of the default extract commands? Extract the
first one? All of them?

That's why I've decided to go with another variable, which really means
"I want this stuff to be downloaded, but don't do anything with it, the
package recipe will take care of it".

Of course, I'm open to changing the semantic of FOO_SOURCE instead, we
would just need to define what this new semantic should be.

Thanks!

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons