[Buildroot] Building Manual Errors

Samuel Martin s.martin49 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 09:14:18 UTC 2013

Hi Ryan,

2013/9/11 <rjbarnet at rockwellcollins.com>

> I've been trying to build the manual for buildroot using 'make manual'
using two different machines that have Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and 12.04 LTS.

> On Ubuntu 10.04 there was an unlisted dependancy with python-argparse
My bad, I forgot this deps when I updated the manual.

> and even when I installed both python-argparse and asciidocs I still
wasn't able to build the HTML version of the manual but the text version
worked. Below is the error I got:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/a2x", line 730, in <module>
>     a2x.execute()
>   File "/usr/bin/a2x", line 294, in execute
>     self.__getattribute__('to_'+self.format)()  # Execute to_* functions.
>   File "/usr/bin/a2x", line 493, in to_xhtml
>     self.copy_resources(xhtml_file, src_dir, self.destination_dir)
>   File "/usr/bin/a2x", line 443, in copy_resources
>     lambda attrs: attrs.get('type') == 'text/css')
>   File "/usr/bin/a2x", line 235, in find_resources
>     parser.feed(open(f).read())
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/HTMLParser.py", line 108, in feed
>     self.goahead(0)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/HTMLParser.py", line 148, in goahead
>     k = self.parse_starttag(i)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/HTMLParser.py", line 249, in parse_starttag
>     attrvalue = self.unescape(attrvalue)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/HTMLParser.py", line 387, in unescape
>     return re.sub(r"&(#?[xX]?(?:[0-9a-fA-F]+|\w{1,8}));",
replaceEntities, s)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/re.py", line 151, in sub
>     return _compile(pattern, 0).sub(repl, string, count)
> UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte
>
> On my Ubuntu 12.04 machine I can succesfully build the HTML version of
the manual but not the text version

> user at ubuntu:~/projects/buildroot/mainline$ make manual-txt
> Writing the target-packages list in:
>         output/docs/manual/.build/package-list.txt
> Writing the host-packages list in:
>         output/docs/manual/.build/host-package-list.txt
> Writing the deprecated list in:
>         output/docs/manual/.build/deprecated-list.txt
> a2x: ERROR: w3m -cols 70 -dump -T text/html -no-graph
/home/user/projects/buildroot/mainline/output/docs/manual/manual.text.html
> /home/user/projects/buildroot/mainline/output/docs/manual/manual.text
returned non-zero exit status 127
> make: *** [output/docs/manual/manual.text] Error 1
I looks like a w3m error...

I know there could be some issues with asciidoc:
- there might be a minimal version for asciidoc to be able to build BR
manual (not sure, not tested with old versions);
- I know there is a bug in dblatex 0.3.4 (0.3.2 works fine on my distro:
archlinux) preventing from building the pdf manual.

> I've seen in the manual that there is an issue with building the manual
with debain but it really doesn't explain what that issue. I tried
searching the mailing list for this issue along with bugzilla but came up
empty handed in finding the exact issue. Its not the end of the world for
me since I can kind of work around. Also if somebody has a known working
configuration for building the manual that would be helpful to know.

> Another random thought, is there any plans to build all the tools needed
for doing compile of the manual within buildroot so then we are not
dependent on the different distros of linux for building the manuals?
Could be the solution.

I whish we had a buildfarm regularly building the manual (and pushing it on
the web).
Peter, any news about this?

Samuel