[Buildroot] Two or three stages gcc build?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sat Sep 7 09:15:52 UTC 2013

Dear Khem Raj,

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013 09:59:34 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:

> > In the mean time, I've experimented a bit and actually implemented it.
> > The patch hasn't been merged yet in Buildroot, but it has been posted:
> > http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2013-September/077344.html.
> >
> > Don't hesitate to have a look and tell me what you think.
>
> OK. The patch looks ok to me. one thing
>
> Do you need to support multiple toolchains ? and how far do you want to go back ? I would much rather not
> have THREE_STAGE_BUILD options at all.

We do need to support building gcc 4.2.x, because that's the only
version for which thee AVR32 architecture is supported. I'm hoping that
in a year or two we can drop AVR32 support (the architecture has been
deprecated by Atmel), and therefore simplify a few things, but for now,
I believe we need to be able to support older gcc versions than 4.7/4.8.

Thanks for having a look at the patch!

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons