[Buildroot] [RFCv1 00/11] Convert toolchain backends to packages to fix source/external-deps/legal-info

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Sep 6 09:05:10 UTC 2013

Dear Jérôme Pouiller,

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 10:57:43 +0200, Jérôme Pouiller wrote:

> > To do so, the idea of this patch is to:
> >
> >  (1) Create a 'toolchain' virtual package, which will depend on the
> >      particular toolchain backend depending on the configuration.
> Is it too early to move toolchain/ to package/? Or there is a reason
> to keep toolchain/ out of package/?

Well, we do have packages outside of package/, such as the kernel and
bootloaders. I believe it makes sense to keep the toolchain backends in
toolchain/. Besides, the toolchain-buildroot/ package is really just an
indirection for host-gcc-final. Only the toolchain-external/ package
really contains some real stuff.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons