[Buildroot] Default target file system permissions

Sven Neumann neumann at teufel.de
Thu Oct 31 22:42:14 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've been debugging some problems with our buildroot builds lately and
found them to be caused by too restrictive permissions on the target
file system. Pretty much all files and directories, unless specified
explicitly in system/device_table.txt are only readable by the owner
(root). This causes problems with samba (/var/nmbd not accessible by
nmbd), dbus services (dbus daemon can not access the service files) and
so on. Basically only services that are running as root can work
correctly, because for other users the system is pretty much
inaccessible. I've come across this mail on the mailing-list which seems
related, but couldn't find an answer:
http://buildroot-busybox.2317881.n4.nabble.com/Default-target-file-system-permissions-td39088.html

Here's how the root folder on our target file-system looks like:

drwxr-xr-x   20 root     root          4096 Dec  7  1999 .
drwxr-xr-x   20 root     root          4096 Dec  7  1999 ..
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Dec  7  1999 bin
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          4096 Nov 30  1999 boot
drwxr-xr-x    5 root     root          4096 Dec 30  1999 data
drwxr-xr-x   10 root     root         12600 Dec  7  1999 dev
drwxr-xr-x   15 root     root          4096 Dec  7  1999 etc
drwx------    3 root     root          4096 Dec  7  1999 home
drwx------    4 root     root          4096 Dec  7  1999 lib
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            11 Oct 31 20:26 linuxrc ->
bin/busybox
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Dec  7  1999 media
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Dec  7  1999 mnt
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Dec  7  1999 opt
dr-xr-xr-x   62 root     root             0 Dec  7  1999 proc
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Oct 31 22:09 root
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             3 Oct 31 18:39 run -> tmp
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Dec  7  1999 sbin
dr-xr-xr-x   11 root     root             0 Dec  7  1999 sys
drwxrwxrwt   12 root     root           800 Oct 31 21:51 tmp
drwx------    7 root     root          4096 Dec  7  1999 usr
drwxr-xr-x    7 root     root          4096 Dec  7  1999 var

So are the restrictive permissions on the target file-system intentional
and how I can change this situation?

Regards,
Sven