[Buildroot] About user support and the mailing list

Ryan Barnett rjbarnet at rockwellcollins.com
Tue Oct 15 14:30:50 UTC 2013

Jeremy, Thomas P and D, All,

Jeremy Rosen <jeremy.rosen at openwide.fr> wrote on 10/15/2013 08:16:23 AM:

> > One of the advantages of a unified list is that new users also are
> > 'exposed' to development, and are hopefully more likely to contribute
> > too. There is no 'development elite' in this model.
> > At the same time, a unified list also encourages developers to help
> > users. It's not possible to subscribe to 'only the developer list'.
> >

> hmm, compared to most FOSS projects I know buildroot is a bit special...
>
> There is no clear separation between users and developers as far as
> knowledge is concerned. All users should be able to compile stuff
> know about cross compilers and installing firmwares. So doing a
> separate -user vs -dev mailing list makes less sense her.
>
> However I would like to have a separate -discuss an -patch mailing
> list, one of them being for patch+reviews+commit messages and the
> other one being for actual discussions.
>
> That would separate the high traffic/fast reading parts from the
> low traffic/philosophical discussion parts.

I really like this idea as I believe it fits well with how this FOSS
project works. The majority of the emails are related to patches and
discussion surrounding them. I usually glance through these emails
since I don't necessarily have time to read through all of the patches.
So by having this separation would be nice as that way I don't
accidentally glance over a philosophical discussion such as this.

> The important part is that mose people (everybody?) should logically
> subscribe to both, but mail filtering etc... would be much simpler.

Thanks,
-Ryan