[Buildroot] [git commit] toolchain-external: update Linaro ARM toolchain

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 12:15:57 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
> Dear Peter Korsgaard,
>
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 13:50:08 +0200, Peter Korsgaard wrote:
>
>>  Thomas> Of course, we still have to decide whether we want gcc 4.8, 4.7, and
>>  Thomas> 4.6, or rather larger jumps like
>>  Thomas> gcc 4.8, 4.4, 4.0 or something like that.
>>
>> As we support each individual 4.x version between 4.3 and 4.8 for the
>> internal toolchain (+/- odd architectures) and Linaro is pretty leading
>> edge, I would say 4.6 -> 4.8.
>
> This still doesn't solve the case where Linaro 2013.11 would jump from
> the next eglibc version, but keeping the same gcc version, for example.

It wouldn't solve that case, but maybe it doesn't matter to us. If the
Linaro project co-names their toolchains based on date + gcc, then we
can limit us to that. We then accept whatever eglibc version they
select for that release.

If a user wants to stick to a given eglibc and gcc version, and Linaro
updates eglibc without updating gcc, then that user will have to do
something special. I think it's not realistic for us to handle this in
a clearer way than Linaro does, except by providing a 'custom version'
option.