[Buildroot] [git commit] toolchain-external: update Linaro ARM toolchain

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Fri Oct 11 10:19:09 UTC 2013

 Thomas> Dear Thomas De Schampheleire,
 Thomas> On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 11:16:33 +0200, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:

 >> The principle of keep three toolchains that differ sufficiently seems
 >> ok to me. I don't think we should care about 'buggy' releases: Linaro
 >> is responsible of delivering quality toolchains. If it happens that a
 >> newly released toolchain is no good for some reason, we can still step
 >> that one back, or take the newer one if it was released in the mean
 >> time.
 >>
 >> So, this proposal would for example have (fictional)
 >> Linaro 2012.11 (based on gcc 4.4)
 >> Linaro 2013.02 (gcc 4.4 but new glibc)
 >> Linaro 2013.08 (gcc 4.8)

 Thomas> Ok. So a bit like the Sourcery CodeBench toolchains are updated to
 Thomas> their latest patch level, but we keep several "major version" with
 Thomas> their latest patch level.

 Thomas> But in the case of Sourcery CodeBench toolchain, we do those patch
 Thomas> level version bumps without changing the Config.in option name, so
 Thomas> the bump is transparent to users.

 Thomas> For the Linaro toolchains, the Config.in option name contain the
 Thomas> precise version. So, what happens when we bump Linaro 2013.08 to Linaro
 Thomas> 2012.09 (which also uses gcc 4.8, and therefore should replace Linaro
 Thomas> 2012.08) ?

If we want to key off gcc version then we should presumably name the
Config sysmbol similar - E.G.:

config BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_LINARY_GCC_4_8
       bool "Linaro GCC 4.8 (2013.08)"

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard