[Buildroot] Building / installing kernel modules.

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Oct 10 07:02:58 UTC 2013

Dear Sagaert Johan,

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013 20:37:35 +0200, Sagaert Johan wrote:

> I found this post http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2011-July/044690.html

Note that this post was made by Thomas De Schampheleire, not me. Yeah,
I know, two Thomas, it's confusing :)

> Has there been some infrastructure added to aid in building and installing kernel modules ?

No. In fact I'm not sure there is really a need for that.

> I created a generic-package makefile to build and install the kernel module.
> So far so good, but I still have to run depmod -a on my target to register the module.
>
> How can I use the post_install hook to have the module registered by buildroot,
> so I don't have to do it on my target board ?

Normally, if you use the modules_install target of the kernel Makefile
to install your own modules, it should call depmod automatically.

See
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2011-August/044807.html
for an example that does this (if I remember correctly).

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons