[Buildroot] Booting problem for Beaglebone

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Oct 9 15:36:02 UTC 2013

Dear AUBERT alain,

On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 17:15:13 +0200, AUBERT alain wrote:

> We have already done all steps of the building as you indicated in your mail
>
> The 2 partitions are visible in Uboot with correct pararmeters.
> We have done fatls mmc 0:1 and ext2ls mmc 0:2 to see the contents
>
> Moreover, we have done the same operation with buildroot 2012.05 and the
> beaglebone board works fine
>
> It seems that the problem comes from the use of Flattened devices tree
> in the new version of buildroot
>
> You can find the bootlog in the attached file

I am not following closely the BeagleBone kernels, but from the boot
log it seems like the MMC card is not detected. Several possibilities:

 * The MMC support is not enabled in the kernel configuration, or the
   proper MMC driver.

 * The MMC device is not described in the Device Tree and/or the
   support for MMC on this platform is not available.

The version of the kernel being displayed is just 3.8.11, which
indicates a mainline kernel (which doesn't support MMC on AM335x, as
far as I know). However, our beaglebone_defconfig uses a TI custom
kernel, which I believe, should show probably show a different kernel
version than just 3.8.11.

Can you send us your Buildroot .config file?

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons