[Buildroot] Some legal-info observations/problems

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Thu Oct 3 16:50:37 UTC 2013

On 10/03/13 16:12, Ryan Barnett wrote:
> Danomi, All,
>
> Danomi Manchego <danomimanchego123 at gmail.com> wrote on
> 10/03/2013 08:42:55 AM:
>
>> Ryan,

> need
> existing
>>>
>>> You bring up an interesting point that I never thought of. However, in
>>> the application of OVERRIDE_SRCDIR, I would think that it mainly
> intended
>>> for company's application but I could be wrong.

  It was originally intended for temporarily testing a modified version
of a package, which you commit by generating patches from it. But I
expect that in companies it will indeed be mainly used for the application.

>> FWIW, several of our projects regularly use permanent OVERRIDE_SRCDIR
>> settings to compile exploded copies of uboot and xloader checked into
>> our source control system, rather than maintain patches against some
>> off-upstream vendor tarball; it's just easier than educating the folks
>> in remote offices about patching.

  Actually, BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_CUSTOM_GIT and
BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_CUSTOM_TARBALL exist for exactly this purpose. Of
course, there's no equivalent for xloader, but you should start using
U-Boot SPL anyway :-)

> Thanks for the use case as I never though of that since I've just maintain
> a large u-boot/x-loader patch set.
>
> My thought for how this column would work is that if the OVERRIDE_SRCDIR
> is used that in the column, "OVERRIDE_SRCDIR Used" would be placed instead
> of the URL. This will also make sure that someone explicitly knows they
> are
> using the OVERRIDE_SRCDIR feature (not that isn't already obvious in
> local.mk)

  Sounds like a good idea to me.

  Regards,
  Arnout