[Buildroot] [RFC] package: Redownload HEAD packages every build

Ryan Barnett rjbarnet at rockwellcollins.com
Tue Oct 1 21:54:04 UTC 2013

Thomas,

Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote on
10/01/2013 04:37:39 PM:

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 15:01:52 -0500, clshotwe at rockwellcollins.com wrote:
>
> > > It seems like the mechanism you're proposing overlaps quite
> > > significantly with that, while being a bit less flexible. Have you
> > > tried the <pkg>_OVERRIDE_SRCDIR mechanism?
> >
> > I did a little digging into the <pkg>_OVERRIDE_SRCDIR mechanism but I
> > could not find any documentation and the implementation in the make
> > structure is a little unclear.  What is the full intent of that
mechanism?

> Either in your package .mk file or in a local.mk file, you can add:
>
> FOO_OVERRIDE_SRCDIR = /path/to/foo/sources/
>
> If you do that, then Buildroot will no longer download/extract/patch
> the sources for the foo package, it will directly assume the sources
> are located in /path/to/foo/sources/. It will rsync them to the build
> directory, and build from there. Whenever you do:
>
>    make foo-reconfigure
>
> or
>
>    make foo-rebuild
>
> Buildroot will rsync again the source code, and restart the build at
> the configuration step, or the build step of the foo package.
>
> Usually, /path/to/foo/sources/ will be the directory where you did your
> Subversion checkout or Git clone of your "foo" source code.

Could you add this explanation to buildroot manual since it looks like
<pkg>_OVERRIDE_SRCDIR mechanism is your feature and it is currently
lacking in documentation in the manual? I too have tried to understand
how this feature worked and it was a bit unclear.

The only mention of OVERRIDE_SRCDIR in the documentation is under the
rebuild and reconfigure commands. Where is says that it that it only
makes sense to use these features with OVERRIDE_SRCDIR but doesn't
explain what you just explained above.

Thanks,
-Ryan

Ryan J Barnett / Software Engineer / Platform SW
MS 137-157, 855 35th St NE, Cedar Rapids, IA, 52498-3161, US
rjbarnet at rockwellcollins.com
www.rockwellcollins.com