[Buildroot] [RFC] package: Redownload HEAD packages every build

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Oct 1 21:37:39 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 15:01:52 -0500, clshotwe at rockwellcollins.com wrote:

> > It seems like the mechanism you're proposing overlaps quite
> > significantly with that, while being a bit less flexible. Have you
> > tried the <pkg>_OVERRIDE_SRCDIR mechanism?
>
> I did a little digging into the <pkg>_OVERRIDE_SRCDIR mechanism but I
> could not find any documentation and the implementation in the make
> structure is a little unclear.  What is the full intent of that mechanism?

Either in your package .mk file or in a local.mk file, you can add:

FOO_OVERRIDE_SRCDIR = /path/to/foo/sources/

If you do that, then Buildroot will no longer download/extract/patch
the sources for the foo package, it will directly assume the sources
are located in /path/to/foo/sources/. It will rsync them to the build
directory, and build from there. Whenever you do:

	make foo-reconfigure

or

	make foo-rebuild

Buildroot will rsync again the source code, and restart the build at
the configuration step, or the build step of the foo package.

Usually, /path/to/foo/sources/ will be the directory where you did your
Subversion checkout or Git clone of your "foo" source code.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons