[Buildroot] [RFC] package: Redownload HEAD packages every build

clshotwe at rockwellcollins.com clshotwe at rockwellcollins.com
Tue Oct 1 20:01:52 UTC 2013

Thomas and Arnout,

Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote on 10/01/2013
01:51:54 PM:

> It seems like the mechanism you're proposing overlaps quite
> significantly with that, while being a bit less flexible. Have you
> tried the <pkg>_OVERRIDE_SRCDIR mechanism?

I did a little digging into the <pkg>_OVERRIDE_SRCDIR mechanism but I
could not find any documentation and the implementation in the make
structure is a little unclear.  What is the full intent of that mechanism?

> Regarding the implementation, I'm not sure to understand how
> <pkg>_VERSION = HEAD is supposed to be used. For example, I have a
> software, whose source code is handled in Git, in its 'master' branch.
> How would I tell your mechanism that I want the latest source code to
> be redownloaded each time?

I failed to take git and mercurial into account with this patch.
Subversion uses "HEAD" for its latest source code.

Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> wrote on 10/01/2013 11:08:23 AM:

>   Also I think I would prefer instead to have an explicit variable to
> indicate that it should be re-downloaded, e.g.
>
> ifneq ($($(PKG)_FORCE_DOWNLOAD),)
>    $(Q)$(RM) $(DL_DIR)/$($(PKG)_SOURCE)
> endif

I like this approach much better.  It would make this mechanism very
explicit and avoid having to handle all of the different repository
nuances. I would like to create a new patch that implements this method.

>   This variable can be set either from the package's .mk file or from
the
> local override file.
>

>   And finally, the documentation should be updated as well.

Agreed.

Thanks,
Clayton

Clayton Shotwell