[Buildroot] longterm kernel releases: version-URI different for v2.x kernels

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sat Nov 16 10:38:42 UTC 2013

Dear Rick Robino,

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 23:53:40 -0800, Rick Robino wrote:

> I encountered problems automatically downloading kernel version
> 2.6.32.61, one of the current longterm releases.  It looks like the
> URL might have changed, so I thought that I would mention it here in
> case this fact might be news to anyone.
>
> The longterm kernels are in a subdirectory called
> ‘v2/.6/longterm/vA.B.C’.  Buildroot only looks in ‘v2.6’, which works
> fine for standard kernels but not the longterm ones for 2.6.

Yes. Buildroot cannot guess if the kernel version you're using is a
"normal" version or a "longterm" version. Therefore, when you choose to
only give the kernel version in the configuration, it only looks in
2.6/ or 3.x/. If you need a kernel version that is available in some
other location, then you should use the "Custom tarball" configuration
choice, which allows you to pass an arbitrary URL to a tarball,
either located on kernel.org or on some other place.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons