[Buildroot] Init not handling signals

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Nov 13 20:32:18 UTC 2013

On 12/11/13 17:27, John OSullivan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question but I have
> seen a few buildroot/busybox references to this problem but none with a
> clear solution.

  The busybox mailing list would probably be more appropriate...

> I am running buildroot-2012-05 with busybox 1.19, using the busybox init
> with an inittab based on the default one provided.
>
> In the init tab there is a trap for ctrlaltdel
>
> ::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
>
> This line is never called after hitting ctrl alt del on a keyboard
>
> Instead we get a signal pending on the init task
>
> Cat /proc/1/status
>
> ---------------------------
>
> Name:   swapper
>
> State:    R (running)
>
> Tgid:      1
>
> Pid:        1
>
> PPid:      0
>
> TracerPid:            0
>
> Uid:        0             0             0             0
>
> Gid:        0             0             0             0
>
> FDSize:  32
>
> Groups:
>
> Threads:              1
>
> SigQ:      1/938
>
> SigPnd:  0000000000000100
>
> ShdPnd: 0000000000000002

  If I understand correctly, this is a SIGCHLD and a SIGINT. The SIGINT
is sent to init by the kernel when you press ctrlaltdel - so I guess you
pressed it twice.

> SigBlk:   0000000000000000
>
> SigIgn:   0000000000000000
>
> SigCgt:  0000000000000000
>
> CapInh: 0000000000000000
>
> After the init process is signalled the Swapper task assumes 100%
> processor occupancy and system performance degenerates. (as evidenced by top)

  That seems to indicate it's getting fork-bombed. You can check that by
running ps; ps from the shell - if the two instances have very different
PIDs, then you have a fork bomb :-)

  Regards,
  Arnout