[Buildroot] Speeding up builds

Dallas Clement dallas.a.clement at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 19:00:54 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I'm just looking for some tips on how to speed up my build times.  My
rootfs contains many packages with lots of dependencies.  Even with 8 fast
Xeon cores, 64GB of RAM, SSDs, and SAS drives, my builds are taking 1 hour
and 50 minutes.

When I observe CPU utilization with htop, I rarely see more than one CPU
core getting worked hard.  Occasionally, I will see all 8 cores maxed at
100%.

make -j 16 seems to make little difference.

What can I do to get all my CPU cores working all the time?

Thanks,

Dallas