[Buildroot] Default target file system permissions

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Sat Nov 2 22:23:49 UTC 2013

On 31/10/13 23:42, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been debugging some problems with our buildroot builds lately and
> found them to be caused by too restrictive permissions on the target
> file system. Pretty much all files and directories, unless specified
> explicitly in system/device_table.txt are only readable by the owner
> (root). This causes problems with samba (/var/nmbd not accessible by
> nmbd), dbus services (dbus daemon can not access the service files) and
> so on. Basically only services that are running as root can work
> correctly, because for other users the system is pretty much
> inaccessible. I've come across this mail on the mailing-list which seems
> related, but couldn't find an answer:
> http://buildroot-busybox.2317881.n4.nabble.com/Default-target-file-system-permissions-td39088.html

  As mentioned in that mail, the problem is that you have a restrictive
umask set. Therefore, all files that are created by buildroot get this
umask applied.

  I don't really see a solution. For starters, your filesystem skeleton
(in system/skeleton) probably already has wrong permissions. So even if
we'd reset the umask within the buildroot build, the skeleton would still
be installed with the wrong permissions.

  I think the only thing we can do is to add a faq entry to the
documentation.

  Regards,
  Arnout