[Buildroot] Design issue with the out-of-tree support

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon May 27 19:44:19 UTC 2013

On 27/05/13 21:12, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Dear Arnout Vandecappelle,
>
> On Mon, 27 May 2013 18:50:54 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

[snip]
>>    The question is whether the OVERRIDE_SRCDIR infrastructure should apply
>> this step or not. Conceptually, it shouldn't, but that means that users
>> of OVERRIDE_SRCDIR for packages that need an autoreconf would need to do
>> the autoreconf manually. Which is probably for the best anyway, but which
>> is a change compared to current behaviour.
>
> For now, I consider doing the prepare step even on OVERRIDE_SRCDIR
> package, even if that means that we are modifying the source directory.

  Given that we've recently accepted some patches that solve problems of
non-writeable source directories, I don't think this is appropriate. I
think it's a valid use case to use OVERRIDE_SRCDIR to define the custom
source of a package, which is located in some shared directory. Having
random builds modifying that source is not appropriate.

  And now is the time to define this behaviour - changing it later can be
considered "ABI breakage".

  Regards,
  Arnout

[snip]