[Buildroot] Where do I place patches for my local buildroot?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu May 23 16:39:21 UTC 2013

Dear Morten Kvistgaard,

On Thu, 23 May 2013 17:05:03 +0200, Morten Kvistgaard wrote:

> I'd like to follow this buildroot concept of "patches". Eg. if I have
> a patch for a package, I place it in the package folder. If I have a
> patch for my linux kernel, I place it in the folder specified by the
> menuconfig. But suppose I have a patch for my Buildroot? Where do I
> place that?
>
> My current buildroot patch is for "packages/Config.in". (I'm adding
> some of my local packages and so I need to modify the Config.in.) I
> can also imagine other buildroot files, that I want to patch though.
> And if I place them as separate "patches" it'll be easier to upgrade
> ^^

The general recommendation is to create a git branch, and commit your
changes in there.

When a new Buildroot version is released, either rebase your branch on
top of the new Git tag, or merge the new Git tag into your branch.

> Btw, I can see in the maillist that there's supposed to be a "Local
> Packages" in the menuconfig? Is this so? I can't seem to find it.
> (I'm using buildroot 2013.02.)

Can you point the specific e-mail you're referring to?

Thanks!

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons