[Buildroot] [git commit] Makefile: simplify target skeleton copying

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 08:13:06 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Peter Korsgaard <jacmet at sunsite.dk> wrote:

>  Arnout> On 26/03/13 08:33, Peter Korsgaard wrote:
>  >> +   rsync -au --exclude=.empty --exclude=CVS --exclude=.svn
> --exclude='*~' \
>  >> +           $(TARGET_SKELETON)/ $(TARGET_DIR)/
>
>  Arnout>  Since TARGET_SKELETON can be configured to point to a git- or
>  Arnout> mercurial-controlled directory, I'd want to exclude those as
> well. How
>  Arnout> about the --cvs-exclude --include core that ThomasDS introduced?
>
> We can do that as well. I was a bit afraid of excluding files people
> wanted to keep, so I kept it how it was - But yes, like likelyhood is
> quite small.
>
> Care to send a patch to do this?

Is this really needed?
I was thinking about this as well, but later had the following reasoning
(which could be wrong): for svn, if I recall correctly, there is a .svn in
each subdirectory. This is not the case for .git or .hg (which only exist
in the root of the repository). If one can assume that no-one puts the
skeleton in a repository, the exclusion of .svn is enough.

Moreover, the --cvs-exclude option cannot be used in this case, as it also
removes object files. In my version of rsync, this is the exclusion list
used by --cvs-exclude:

RCS SCCS CVS CVS.adm RCSLOG cvslog.* tags TAGS .make.state .nse_depinfo *~
#* .#* ,* _$* *$ *.old *.bak *.BAK *.orig *.rej .del-* *.a *.olb *.o *.obj
*.so *.exe *.Z *.elc *.ln core .svn/ .git/ .hg/ .bzr/