[Buildroot] Q. How to use a custom kernel tree?

Stephan Hoffmann sho at relinux.de
Fri Mar 8 16:07:44 UTC 2013

Am 08.03.2013 16:47, schrieb Chris Wilkinson:

> I have a customized, patched kernel tree which I'd like BR to use.
>
> I tar'd the custom kernel tree, selected custom tarball for the kernel
> version and put the full URL/path to the archive in
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_TARBALL.
>
> The custom tree also contains a defconfig for my arch. I set
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_USE_DEFCONFIG=y and gave it's name in
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_DEFCONFIG.
>
> Using make, BR error'ed out thus.

> cat /home/chrisw/embedded/buildroot/dl/linux-3.4-ss4000e.tar | tar
> --strip-components=1 -C
> /home/chrisw/embedded/buildroot/output/build/linux-custom  -xf -
> cat: /home/chrisw/embedded/buildroot/dl/linux-3.4-ss4000e.tar: No such
> file or directory
> tar: This does not look like a tar archive
> tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
>
> It appears that BR expects to find the custom tarball in <BR>/dl, not
> the path I specified.
>
> What should I do to have BR use my custom kernel tree and config?
Hello Chris,

unfortunatelly, buildroot always assumes that the "custom tarball" is on
a server where it can be fetched using wget. I submitted a patch
(http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/217204/) some time ago to improve
this, but noone responded.

You can use Source Override (see docu) to use your local kernel tree
(not gzipped).

Regards

Stephan

> --