[Buildroot] Q. How to use a custom kernel tree?

Chris Wilkinson winstonian36 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 15:47:42 UTC 2013

I have a customized, patched kernel tree which I'd like BR to use.

I tar'd the custom kernel tree, selected custom tarball for the kernel
version and put the full URL/path to the archive in
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_TARBALL.

The custom tree also contains a defconfig for my arch. I set
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_USE_DEFCONFIG=y and gave it's name in
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_DEFCONFIG.

Using make, BR error'ed out thus.

>>> linux custom Extracting
cat /home/chrisw/embedded/buildroot/dl/linux-3.4-ss4000e.tar | tar
--strip-components=1 -C
/home/chrisw/embedded/buildroot/output/build/linux-custom  -xf -
cat: /home/chrisw/embedded/buildroot/dl/linux-3.4-ss4000e.tar: No such file
or directory
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

It appears that BR expects to find the custom tarball in <BR>/dl, not the
path I specified.

What should I do to have BR use my custom kernel tree and config?

--
-Chris-