[Buildroot] Problem with buildroot-2013.02 - emacs

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Mar 7 13:08:18 UTC 2013

Dear Spielmann Werner,

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 13:47:39 +0100, Spielmann Werner wrote:
> Hello Thomas,
>
> Many thanks for your explanation. You are right, emacs was not really
> installed. There were only Links:
>
>   /usr/bin/emacs -> /etc/alternatives/emacs
>   /etc/alternatives/emacs -> /usr/bin/jove
>
> => strange!

Why strange? Jove pretends to be an emacs clone, so Debian/Ubuntu
installs it as an Emacs alternative. See
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAlternatives.

> The Patch didn't work at the first attempt, as far as I can see the
> line numbers of autoconf.mk do not match (I have installed the
> buildroot-2013.02 from the download directory - perhaps do you use
> newer versions from the repository?). So I installed emacs - seemed
> to be the fastest solution!  ;-)

I don't think autoconf.mk has changed since 2013.02, so I don't
understand why the patch doesn't apply for you, especially since it's a
one-liner.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure EMACS="no" fixes your problem, even if you keep
Jove installed instead of Emacs. I tested it here, and the
host-autoconf build process no longer tries to compile the .el files
into .elc files using Emacs.

I've submitted the patch for inclusion into Buildroot.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons