[Buildroot] Pre-compiled XOrg kbd files for read-only targets

Bryce Schober bryce.schober at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 21:11:57 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I have a target with fixed hardware and a read-only file-system that would
really prefer to have a single static keyboard setup. This would ideally
prune the ~2.5MB worth of /usr/share/X11/xkb/* down to a minimum. I've
googled around, and found all kinds of stuff, mostly that linked from xorg's
wiki <http://www.x.org/wiki/XKB>, but I'm apparently not smart enough to
see through all that toward what I'm looking for. All I want is simple
support for a pc104 keyboard in a read-only file-system. How hard can that
possibly be? ;-)

Have any of you all worked out this, or some alternative solution for a
minimal static xkb configuration on a read-only target?

Bryce Schober