[Buildroot] [Q] Buildroot vs uCLinux

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Jun 26 13:35:43 UTC 2013

Dear Ezequiel Garcia,

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:19:07 -0300, Ezequiel Garcia wrote:

> > Which CPU architecture is this platform
> > using?
>
> Nios2

Nice! However, beware that Buildroot has no support for NIOS2. That
said, if you have prebuilt known-working toolchains for NIOS2, adding
support for this architecture in Buildroot is not very complicated.

Patches welcome!

> > There are apparently some not too old releases of uClinux-dist (october
> > 2012), but I'm not sure where the development is happening since the
> > CVS repository reference on the project web site seems to contain only
> > very old stuff.
>
> Well, this is my very same concern: the lack of a healthy community
> on the uCLinux side. I can it's a good choice for MMU-less platforms
> given packages have been heavily patched. But this is not the case,
> and hence my perplexity.

Correct, we don't have as many noMMU fixes in Buildroot as uClibc-dist
has, but we're working on this progressively.

> Since this platforms come in two flavors (MMU and MMU-less) I was almost sure
> the reason is mostly historical.

Most likely yes.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons