[Buildroot] Beaglebone Black support

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Jun 24 16:54:32 UTC 2013

On 23/06/13 21:21, Frank Hunleth wrote:
> I'd like to get things in a form that I could contribute upstream and
> I'm not sure how to deal with the kernel. Both "kernels" referenced by
> people on the beageboard mailing lists, the beaglebone.org kernel and
> the Robert J. Nelson kernel, are really a list of patches (100s of
> them) and a shell script to download the 3.8.13 kernel and apply them.
> See here for an example:
>
> https://github.com/beagleboard/kernel/tree/3.8
>
> Angstrom deals with this by having a copy of the patches in
> meta-beagleboard and referencing them in the .bb file. See:
>
> https://github.com/beagleboard/meta-beagleboard/blob/master/common-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-mainline_3.8.bb
>
> However, copying the patches over to buildroot seems wrong and painful
> to maintain, but as far as I can tell, there's no official/maintained
> git repo with the beaglebone.org kernel patches.

  I'm not sure if it is already possible in buildroot to use a git URL
for the patches, but if so, you could point that one to the Angstrom
tree. At least, on condition that they are either numbered or have a
series file.

  The kernel/tree/3.8 URL won't work of course because the patches are
not all in the same directory.

  You can also check if one of the beaglebone repos (e.g. koenkooi) just
works for bbb.

  Regards,
  Arnout