[Buildroot] why to have separate uboot-tools?

Jan Pohanka xhpohanka at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 10:55:52 UTC 2013

Hi all,

currently I'm trying to customize buildroot a bit to allow it to be used
by my colleagues as a base of their development environment.
I have noticed that there is separate package for u-boot-tools (mkimage,
etc.) Can please someone tell me why these tools are not installed from
u-boot package defined in bootloaders section?

Once we use our own u-boot with its own tools (uflash from TI) I need to
alter two packages and also u-boot sources are downloaded two times.
I can prepare a patch to use just u-boot in bootloaders section, but the
question is if it is not worthless...

thanks
Jan