[Buildroot] Issue with iconv_open and Linaro toolchain

Thierry Bultel thierry.bultel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jul 11 09:20:52 UTC 2013

Hi,

My problem was first to find out why my QT (forX11) applications reported
the famous errors at startup:

QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion,
iconv_open failed
QIconvCodec::convertToUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv_open
failed

After some diving into the code and some qemu strace stuff, too, I found
out that the
problem is due to the fact that iconv_open tries to open :

/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/gconv/gconv-modules.cache

The /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf does not exist at all on the target,
but only in the sysroot.
Copying it manually solves the issue, but I do not feel comfortable with
having a piece
of the toolchain path on my system...

What is your point of view about this ? What would be the right way to do ?

Thanks
Thierry