[Buildroot] [Hosting] Migrating ash (mailman, ticket tracking, imap, shell server) to a VM - Jul 8, 2013 5:00PM PDT (Jul 9 2013 0000 UTC)

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at sunsite.dk
Sat Jul 6 08:32:55 UTC 2013

>>>>> "Lance" == Lance Albertson <lance at osuosl.org> writes:

FYI,

The mailing list will have a short downtime on Monday.

let me know if something isn't working afterwards.

 Lance> Service(s) affected: All mailman instances on our shared
 Lance> instance, all OSL mail delivery, RT (ticket tracking) and OSL
 Lance> Shell access.

 Lance> All mail will be queued up while the outage occurs.

 Lance> Outage Window:
 Lance> Start:   Mon, Jul 8, 5:00PM PDT (Tue Jul 9 0000 UTC)

 Lance> End:    Mon, Jul 8, 7:00PM PDT (Tue Jul 9 0200 UTC)

 Lance> Reason for outage:

 Lance> The hardware that hosts mailman, our mail store and shell is
 Lance> aging and desperately needs to be on better hardware. In
 Lance> additional we're running out of disk space on the machine and
 Lance> can more easily manage that grow in a virtualizied
 Lance> environment. I expect the actual outage to last around one hour
 Lance> while we wait for a final sync of the data to the VM.

 Lance> We will likely have another outage on this host later in the
 Lance> summer to switch it to CentOS 6 but this migration is literally
 Lance> just an rsync to get it on newer hardware.

 Lance> Projects affected: All shared mailman instances on ash and OSL
 Lance> staff.

 Lance> --
 Lance> Lance Albertson
 Lance> Director
 Lance> Oregon State University | Open Source Lab

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard