[Buildroot] Beaglebone Black support

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Jul 2 16:46:23 UTC 2013

On 07/02/13 09:34, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Dear Arnout Vandecappelle,
>
> On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 08:07:37 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>
>>    I guess you can download the patches as a tarball, right? Then you
>> should just be able to use the tarball's URL in BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_PATCH
>> and buildroot will extract them from the tarball and apply them all in
>> directory order (or according to the series file, if present). Or does
>> that not work for some reason?
>
> If you look at
> https://github.com/RobertCNelson/linux-dev/tree/am33x-v3.8/patches,
> you'll see that patches are organized in a set of sub-directories, and
> the patch order is defined in a shell script,
> https://github.com/RobertCNelson/linux-dev/blob/am33x-v3.8/patch.sh,
> that has to be executed over a Git kernel tree.
>
> To handle such a bizarre stuff, I don't see any other option that
> adding a new kconfig option to specify a shell script to be executed at
> "patch" time of the kernel, so that one can do whatever funky things
> (s)he wants. That's ugly, but I don't see a nice and generic way of
> handling such a bizarre distribution of kernel code.

  Actually, Xenomai and RTAI are similar. So we could add a config option
that allows the user to add something to the LINUX_PRE_PATCH_HOOK. But I
admit, it is getting pretty awkward.

  I think it is easier if someone who cares just forks a linux tree on
github and applies the patches there.

  Regards,
  Arnout