[Buildroot] Beaglebone Black support

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Jul 2 07:34:15 UTC 2013

Dear Arnout Vandecappelle,

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 08:07:37 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

>   I guess you can download the patches as a tarball, right? Then you
> should just be able to use the tarball's URL in BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_PATCH
> and buildroot will extract them from the tarball and apply them all in
> directory order (or according to the series file, if present). Or does
> that not work for some reason?

If you look at
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/linux-dev/tree/am33x-v3.8/patches,
you'll see that patches are organized in a set of sub-directories, and
the patch order is defined in a shell script,
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/linux-dev/blob/am33x-v3.8/patch.sh,
that has to be executed over a Git kernel tree.

To handle such a bizarre stuff, I don't see any other option that
adding a new kconfig option to specify a shell script to be executed at
"patch" time of the kernel, so that one can do whatever funky things
(s)he wants. That's ugly, but I don't see a nice and generic way of
handling such a bizarre distribution of kernel code.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons