[Buildroot] rebuilding a project on older commits

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sun Jan 27 08:30:35 UTC 2013

Dear Carsten Schoenert,

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 18:57:28 +0100, Carsten Schoenert wrote:

> is there a simple way to rebuild a project without the whole
> crosscompiler part?

The easiest way is to use an external toolchain. This way, your
toolchain is never rebuilt, but directly used pre-compiled.

> I have to search in my project why now the current output of Buildroot
> isn't startable via nfs. So I want to go back and try out which commit
> breaks the build, like I can do similar with git bisect in other Git
> repos. Probably the busybox here is miss configured in the between
> time because the current kernel config, which has also some little
> changes works with an older rootfs.tar.
>
> The current kernel with an actual rootfs ended up with
> > [   10.890000] Looking up port of RPC 100003/3 on 192.168.136.4
> > [   10.910000] Looking up port of RPC 100005/3 on 192.168.136.4
> > [   10.920000] VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem) on device 0:12.
> > [   10.930000] Freeing init memory: 104K
> > [   10.940000] Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try
> > passing init= option to kernel. See Linux Documentation/init.txt
> > for guidance.

Does Busybox has the init applet enabled? Is /sbin/init a symbolic link
to /bin/busybox? Are the shared library loader and the C library both
available in /lib in your root filesystem?

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons