[Buildroot] [RFC v1 01/14] Add a new "src" directory in the output directory

Jérôme Pouiller jezz at sysmic.org
Thu Jan 24 10:34:29 UTC 2013

Hello Thomas,

On Wednesday 23 January 2013 16:45:36 Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Dear Jérôme Pouiller,
>
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 18:12:49 +0100, Jérôme Pouiller wrote:
> > > This last point is the main reason. For now, the
> > > LINUX_OVERRIDE_SRCDIR mechanism is barely usable because it does a
> > > complete rsync of the Linux source tree, which is very annoying.
> > > So, switching all packages to out of tree build sounds like an
> > > interesting solution.
> >
> > And what about building in a subdirectory of source directory ?
>
> I am not sure why you think it would solve any problem, but it is
> anyway not possible for packages for which <pkg>_OVERRIDE_SRCDIR is
> used: we certainly do *not* want to build in a subdirectory of the
> source directory.
Mainly because packages not compiling out-of-source won't need to be rsynced
between SRCDIR ans BUILDDIR.

Next it may solve questions about of dirclean behaviour.

Finally because I like idea that a directory contains all files related to a
package.

Sure, overrided packages have be to handled differently.

But it is only an idea, not sure it is a good idea :-) .

--
Jérôme Pouiller