[Buildroot] Squashfs boot

Stefan Fröberg stefan.froberg at petroprogram.com
Tue Jan 22 19:39:04 UTC 2013

22.1.2013 21:30, Stephen Turner kirjoitti:
> Dont go out of your way to do this but if you do decide to play with
> it i would love to hear back about your experiences.  I suppose my
> concern now is more less that when the buildroot script makes a system
> such as the bzImage+cpio you expect it to boot and in that case it
> does. So why wouldn't the generated bzImage+squashfs boot?  my
> assumption was that i didn't have the correct grub4dos menu.lst
> entries to properly access it but scouring the Internet turned up next
> to nothing except for modifying your fstab to boot partially
> compressed systems.  As it turns out i was able to compress /usr and
> then cpio the remaining system. i now have a 5mb kernel 2mb cpio
> initrd and a 41mb squashfs usr directory which im fairly certain can
> be smaller with the right commands. Im working on getting the system
> to mount the /usr squash system at boot which i have verified there is
> enough of the system available in the initrd to mount it manually so
> im sure it should be able to be done automatically.
>
> I do appreciate your help. If you have any pointers to the myserious
> buildroot output images not being bootable i would love to hear about
> it but in the mean time you helped me resolve the issue of shrinking
> my system!

My pleasure. Glad that I could help. :-)

Oh, and before I forgot:

When generating that squashfs /usr be sure to use latest version of
mksquashfs (4.2),
at least kernel version of 2.6.38 (that was the version when they added
xz-compression support for squashfs) and give
-comp xz switch when compressing your usr.

Something like this:

mksquashfs usr/ usr.sqfs -comp xz

Stefan