[Buildroot] Default target file system permissions

Przemyslaw Wrzos przemyslaw.wrzos at calyptech.com
Mon Jan 21 04:38:41 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have a question regarding the default permissions files receive on the
target file system. The issue arises specifically if the host build
system uses a umask that leads to undesirable permissions on the target.

What I've done in the past is use a wrapper shell, that sets the umask
correctly and then calls bash, to replace the SHELL variable in the root
Makefile. This seems like a bit of a hack and I'm sure there must be a
better way to do it I'm not aware of. Now that each package has its own
device_table.txt this seems like it might be one good way, but the
makedev utility doesn't support setting permission recursively as far as
I can tell. Is there a better way to do this?

Cheers,
Przemyslaw Wrzos